136 | The disappearing physical on-ramps to reading

If I was looking for an easily identifiable trigger for my love of reading, it would most likely be devouring the comics in the newspaper as a kid. One of my big memories, my dad would peel off the funny pages as he would read the newspaper. I think that trained me to have a certain fondness for the newspaper. I don't think kids have that now.
If you don't get a physical newspaper and have it spread all over the breakfast table, how do your children know you are supposed to read the newspaper. This is a real question.

If all my son sees is me staring at a screen, I can sometimes call it work and sometimes call it reading the newspaper, but that is not a distinction he can see or participate in. Reading the newspaper is a performance, amongst other things, and as we compress everything into one device, which performance you are giving becomes unclear.

(c) Justin Ellis

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten